Monday, July 30, 2012

Since the beginning of time when Man first started walking this earth there have only been two methods of solving disputes, discussion and force. In civilized countries we try to resolve our disputes with discussion and come to agreements that are mutual. In every country in the world there are those that would forgo discussion and attempt to use force to coerce others to do their will.

How do we stop this use of force? We could use our fists and feet, especially if we've had martial arts training. We could resort to crude weapons such as chains, various clubs, brass knuckles or even knives. The best weapon though is a firearm.

The firearm is the great equalizer. If I am carrying a firearm you cannot force me to do anything I am not in agreement with. Only a firearm puts a 70 year old person on equal footing with a 19 year old gang banger. Only a firearm puts a 100 lb woman on equal footing with a 200 lb rapist. Only a firearm puts a lone person on equal footing with a mob of unruly people.

When folks argue for gun control or the elimination of guns entirely what they are really arguing for is putting all of us law abiding folks at a disadvantage to those who would do us harm or take the things we've worked so hard for. These folks think that once all guns are removed from society that all will be well. These same folks disregard the fact that baseball bats, fists, feet, stones etc etc can (and are) used as lethal weapons.

None of those weapons are equally effective for everyone. The strong can take a club from the weak, the quick can injure the slow and infirm before they can react.

The gun is the only weapon that is equally effective for the proverbial 90 lb weakling as it is for the strong. The gun is the force equalizer that works equally well no matter who is wielding it. The gun levels the playing field for everyone.

I intend to get my concealed carry permit in the near future and when I have done so, I will carry a gun. I will not do so because I am in fear, I will do so to ensure that I am left alone to carry on my life as I see fit. I will do so to ensure that others cannot use force to take from me or my family or to coerce us to do their will.

No comments:

Post a Comment